Tuesday, January 30, 2007

TWO QUOTABLES

The Fool, in The Gilded Tarot, by Ciro Marchetti (used by permission)


Again I was going through my old files, this time looking for a particular handout from a course I taught many years ago. Before I'd gotten very far I came across these two quotes that speak to my understanding of symbols:


"When we understand that symbols are actually resonant structures, vibratory form-fields, and that we ourselves are resonant to our very core, then we can see that symbols are not something aery-faery but are completely vital to our functioning as whole beings ....As resonant structures, symbols literally create, work with, and inform our light body. The light body is the genetic code bank. It is the stuff of imagination, insight, all true under-standing — and more! [Our light body] can only be activated through a knowing use of symbols. Nor should this symbol-thriving light body be seen as separate from what we call our physical body. Rather, the resonant light body underlies and interpenetrates all of our functions. It is not poetry alone that commands us to declare that just as a flower cannot live without light and water, we cannot live without symbols."

Dr. Jose Arguelles Author, The Mayan Factor



"Rich symbolism and ingenious construction make Tarot one of the best instruments for true occult education, that is, drawing out the wisdom hidden within you. The Tarot Keys do not put something into your consciousness. They call forth what is already there."

B.O.T.A. Tarot Correspondence Course


That first quote really knocks my socks off every time I read it. It touches on something I've known from very early childhood, when I'd try to tell my parents about a dream I'd had, or explain what my drawing really was about. And the second addresses what I always tried to help students believe when they would ask me in that frustrated way of a newbie not yet trusting her intuition just what a particular card or symbol thereon meant.

These two quotes were on a handout I gave my students. They were also posted prominently in my Tarot room, as much to remind myself of the power of symbols, as to share them with anyone else.

* * * *

Please see the top of the sidebar for my background with the Tarot and a recommendation to beginners.

‘til next time, keep enjoying the incredibly rich symbol system that is The Tarot,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm for some articles about Tarot.****

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I agree... with your love of that first quote (new to me) and what you share about the vital importance of symbols :)

Mary Pat

3:26 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Yes, every time I go to my old Tarot files I don't find what I was looking for, but I find something well worth the trip! And the hassle; my old Tarot files are in a heavy box as it also contains my old dream files...:-D

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home