Monday, June 02, 2008

THE WORLD (XXI)


TODAY'S CARD IS The World (XXI). The version above is not a Tarot card, nor even an acknowledged art photo representing The World card. It's from an ad in this weekend's "Montecito Journal" (a California newspaper).

This ad leapt out at me from the page as an unusual World card, a fabulous one. I immediately cut it out to file it away, but realized I really wanted to post it now. It occurred to me also that I've not shared the various, less common meanings I've been collecting over the years for the cards, as I'd initially started doing when I began this blog, in a very long time. Almost simultaneously I realized that I was being offered a reading via The World popping out at me in the above ad. So before sharing the various less common meanings I've seen for The World over the years, I'll share what I hear XXI saying to me today.

I took a real risk today and sang a bit for the man who organizes musical shows in the senior community I live in. This may not sound like much. However, I suffer from terrible stage fright (even if that "stage" has only one person in the audience), and especially when it comes to singing. Yet I also love to sing. My father was a successful singer and his parents sang in Vaudeville. It's quite literally in my blood. So even as I shook and got vaguely nauseous, I felt great joy. Recalling this on looking at this "found" XXI card above I remembered how She can be seen as what begins to happen when we follow our true selves toward creative freedom. Yes, my spirit has been dancing all day long, ever since I took that risk. Something true, something essential in me is celebrating freely for the first time in way too long. Yes, I've taken a lot of risks recently. (Moving here to California was certainly the biggest.) However, none involved a central, deep aspect of my spirit in quite the way that singing does.

For comparison with the above non-Tarot image in which I see The World card, here are two others:





The World, from The Rider/Waite/Smith Tarot


DIFFERENT OR LESS COMMON, EVEN QUIRKY MEANINGS FOR THE WORLD (i.e. the below is not intended to be an exhaustive exploration of this card; a quick google will produce a wider variety of takes should you not be familiar with this card):

Exhibitionism.

Inertia.

Refusal to try new, necessary things out of fear.

The world of your life may be hemming you in. The best action may be to dance along as creatively as possible with its requirements and demands until the encirclement eases or opens.

A need for physical exercise (often advises dancing).

Shelter, protection, sanctuary is available.

Conversely, a need to leave this shelter for the new or unknown, to go back out into the world.

Somewhat like The Fool in terms of taking risks, only you know pretty much where you have been and where you are, just not where you're going ... and you are going to go ahead anyway, joyfully.

The World, generally speaking, is an extremely positive card.



* * * *

‘til next time, keep dancing and enjoying The Tarot,





**** [aka: Patricia Kelly] *** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm for Tarot poetry; Roswila’s Taiga Tarot for taiga (illustrated tanka); and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems.****

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Eccentric Scholar said...

I *so* love (and identify with) the fact that you collect unusual meanings associated with Tarot iconography. Looking forward to more fascinating tidbits from your collection!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Hi eccentric scholar,

Well, if you ever find yourself with time and the inclination, check out this blog's archives. I've actually posted less common meanings for all but about a dozen of the deck's cards by now. I just hadn't done it in a long time. :-)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Flower said...

Hi Roswilla
I agree with eccentric scholar and love the idea of finding Tarot associations with things we may see and read. Something to do in the future for me I think.
Great stuff about you singing too!!
Blessings Melanie

* incidentally its me, formerly puddle duck, felt I needed to get rid of my last blog unfortunately but will still be reading and commenting!*

7:48 AM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Hi Melanie,

Hope getting rid of your blog wasn't a negative experience. And even if so, that your new one is delightful. (That's an intriguing flower graphic you have.)

I'm very glad you're still visiting. I wanted to let you know that my next Taiga Tarot design (see link at top of this blog) will be for The Hierophant. It's all designed and written. I just have to get to drawing up the final version for posting and write the post itself. (The design and tanka are dream-based.)

Finding Tarot figures and meanings in the the things around us in daily life? :-) I often use abbreviations for the various cards in penciled in notations in totally non-Tarot-book margins. E.g, just the roman numeral III says paragraphs!

As to singing. Phew! It's proving to be the biggest and most challenging growing edge of my life. Singing is intimately bound up with my childhood, in both wonderful and extremely painful ways. I'm finally ready and have the opportunity to take it on. And even take joy in it, too. (I recall reading that the Three of Swords can reference singing when in positive aspect. Singing from the heart, I suppose.)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Flower said...

Hi Roswilla,
I wish I could sing! But I thing it's having the confidence to just 'let go' and go for it which I have never done!
As for getting rid of the blog :( It was a bit of a sad experience (it's the second one I have got rid of), I do enjoy blogging and enjoy people reading my blogs. Unfortunately someone comes along and reads for the wrong reasons. No worry, I can still comment and will continue to blog on MySpace - but this is only set up so myspace 'friends' can read :(
But c'est la vie, I am sure I shall be back blogger under 'Flower' in no time at all!
In fact - I feel a new poem coming on!
Blessings and I shall keep an eye out for the Heirophant!!!

xxx

4:35 AM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Hi Melanie,

Sorry to hear you've had some not so fun blog experiences. I hope this does not hold true for you in the future.

There's an old expression re: singing. "If God (or the appellation of your choice :-D) gave you that voice, He (or whom- or whatever) deserves to hear it.!" Of course, that leaves me still a wee bit concerned for others who may be in earshot. LOL!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home