Monday, January 15, 2007

THE HIGH PRIESTESS (II)

TODAY'S CARD IS The High Priestess (II). The below version is from The Millennium Tarot by Dorothy Simpson Krause, and is used by permission (I will be reviewing this sumptuous deck at length in the future):



For comparison, here's The High Priestess in the Rider/ Waite/ Smith deck:



THE HIGH PRIESTESS: I've hesitated to address II here yet as She is so strongly associated for me with a dear friend I took care of as she died and I wanted to present this card in a more objective fashion than that might allow. But when it comes down to it, our relationship to The Tarot is nothing if not highly personal. So, here I go... Brenda was the one who introduced me to The Tarot. She loved The High Priestess especially as her first and middle name initials were B and J, the letters on the pillars on either side of the High Priestess in the RWS version.(see Footnote) Brenda's birthday was January 8th (along with Elvis :-D), so now seems the appropriate time for me to explore this card. As synchronicity would have it, doing other sorts of Tarot research I came across the Millennium Tarot's High Priestess and was bowled over. The woman on the card above, reaching toward a sketchy outline of a traditional High Priestess or Goddess in the background, could be Brenda in the bloom of her healthy youth. So I feel my dear friend has yet again checked in to say "hello."

DIFFERENT OR LESS COMMON, EVEN QUIRKY MEANINGS FOR THE HIGH PRIESTESS (i.e. the below is not intended to be an exhaustive exploration of this card; a quick google will produce a wider variety of takes should you not be familiar with this card):

Rarely, but can represent addiction or an addictive personality (devotion is a quality of this card, and addiction can be seen as it's "lower octave").

A disconnetedness from one's deepest intuition and wisdom. Maybe due to the necessity of focussing on outward and material challenges and needs.

Someone so introverted and concerned/fascinated with their own inner processes as to be unavailable for intimate relationships.

If she/he is seemingly hard to relate to, it may be for a good reason on their part. Consider if you are ready for the challenge or even want to take it on.

Can indicate a very wise but distant teacher.

Usually, if referencing a close relationship, it would be a platonic one. However, it can be someone whose passions are not obvious because they run so deep. Someone who has to first actually be perceived, or sought out; or who requires that a lot of trust be developed before deeper and/or physical intimacy can occur. (Just contrast Her to The Empress, who is open and available, and readily embracing.)

"Let go, and let God/dess."

Above all, for me, The High Priestess is about intuition and deep inner wisdom. She shows up in a reading and I am on even higher alert than ever. She asks us to listen, deeply. She is not an "easy" card to read, does not readily let Herself be unveiled, but rewards the efforts Her appearance precipitates in us.

Lastly, the RWS version of II is a glyph of the entire Tree of Life in the Qabala. For instance, the pomegranates on the curtain behind Her are placed as the Sephirah (globes/lights) are on The Tree of Life. (For a Tree of Life link, see "Resource" below.) This, for me, goes along with what I've read that all the waters seen anywhere in The Tarot, flow from Her robe. If it can be said that there's a central figure in The Tarot, She's it to my mind and in my heart.


* * * *

Footnote: The letters stand for Boaz -- strength, and Jachin -- establishment. I've also seen them referred to as the active and passive principles; and as the pillars of severity and mildness in the Tree Life in the Qabala (see Resource link below).

* * * *

Resource: Tarot Moon: The Tree of Life in the Qabala.

Please see the top of the sidebar for my background with the Tarot and a recommendation to beginners.

‘til next time, keep listening for the depths in yourself and others, and enjoying The Tarot,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm for some articles about Tarot.****

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the high priestess--if you click on my blog on tarot, you will see a quiz I took that made me a high priestess...

...I LOVE your blog and thanks for making me look harder at my dreams...

10:44 AM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Hi novel nymph,

Me, too, I've been the High Priestess every time but one I've taken those quizzes over the years. That one time I wasn't, was very recently and I was The Hermit. Which card is also very appropriate as I have been referring to myself as an urban hermit for years. LOL!

Thanks again for your appreciation. Yes, keep honoring your dreams as much as you can. I find the more I respond to them, if only by writing them down and contemplating them a bit, the more they tell me. Just had one of those amazing mind and heart opening (and humbling, I will add) ones last night. I'm still agog at what the Great Mystery will give us, if we only open to it.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home