Sunday, July 16, 2006

REVIEW OF A TINY FOLIO: The Art of the Tarot

The Art of the Tarot
by Christina Olsen
A Tiny Folio
Abbeville Press Publishers
1995; ISBN 0-7892-0016-3

Yes, this book was published many years ago, but it is truly timeless. And The Art of the Tarot may be a small book – 4" X 4-1/2" – but it is huge in content. It is filled with beautiful color plates of Tarot cards – 275 to be exact – from the 15th through the 20th centuries. My only wish is that fewer plates for any one deck had been included, so samples from more decks overall could have been shared. But maybe that’s being greedy! :-) It covers quite a span through the centuries as it is. The Art of the Tarot also manages to fit in a short history of the cards and a brief guide to reading them.

Every time I wander delightedly through this book, I find other cards to wonder over. For example, The Hermit card in the 17th century Gioseppe Maria Mitelli Tarot – a naked old man with wings, walking on crutches. (This way, we stumble; that way, we fly? Hm...) Or the soft pointillism-like abstract art of the modern Dorflinger Tarot.

It’s true that in this day of the internet there are many sites on which the art of the Tarot can be viewed. However, there is something to be said for holding a beautifully produced book with lovely color art plates in it. I keep my copy by my easy chair to enjoy in quiet contemplation and leisurely enjoyment.

In short, this not-so-Tiny Folio makes a wonderful addition to the resources of any Tarot art lover.

* * * *

Please see the top of the sidebar for my background with the Tarot and a recommendation to beginners.

‘til next time, keep enjoying The Tarot,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm for some articles about Tarot.****

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home