Tuesday, October 24, 2006

THE CHARIOT (VII)

TODAY'S CARD is The Chariot (VII). This version is from the bold black and white Light and Shadow Tarot, book by Brian Williams and block prints by Michael Goepferd.*


For comparison, here's The Chariot in the Rider/Waite/Smith deck:


THE CHARIOT (VII): I finally set up my scanner! I tend to be buffaloed all too readily by tech stuff, so wind up putting off dealing with it. How is this related to this post? Only becuase I can now put up versions of cards from decks I have not found online but have in my collection, such as The Light and Shadow Tarot. I happen to particularly like The Chariot in this deck because of the focussed Buddha figure at its center. It minimizes my tendency to see The Chariot in martial terms.

DIFFERENT OR LESS COMMON, EVEN QUIRKY MEANINGS FOR THE CHARIOT (VII)(i.e. the below is not intended to be an exhaustive exploration of this card; a quick google will produce a wider variety of takes should you not be familiar with this card):

Incorrect application of energies and talents.

It's very important you gain appropriate control over your emotions at this time.

A need to socialize. You've been in your shell too long.

You may be focussing too much on the external (the vehicle), and the internal (the emotions, the spirit, etc.) are in need of attention.

Be careful that your desire to be expressive does not run over someone else's intense need right now to be heard.

You may need to tolerate feeling out of balance right now, as your conscious and unconcious energies re-align themselves in your life.

Self-expression as a path of growth and service.



* MINI-REVIEW ALERT! The Light and Shadow Tarot has very strong, black and white block print designs. They are intensely evocative and I have very mixed responses to them. The cards are also over-sized and difficult to shuffle, but that is a minor concern for me compared to my tendency to negative visceral responses to the designs. I hasten to add that I am happy to have this deck in my collection. It just is not one I turn to for readings. But I do imagine this is a very personal reaction as the designs are evocative, beautifully executed, and clearly thought out.

* * * *

Resource: Tarot and Emotions Research Project Report, by Mary K. Greer. My generally intense "gut" response to The Light and Shadow deck as a whole recalled this interesting report.

Please see the top of the sidebar for my background with the Tarot and a recommendation to beginners.

‘til next time, keep expressing yourself, and enjoying The Tarot,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm for some articles about Tarot.****

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got the scanner up, so we can see more cards that appeal to you as art as well as inspiration or help.

Which led me to think of this. How would interpreting the Tarot layout change for you if each card wasn't part of the same deck? What if each card was your favorite version of that card regardless of who made it?

Or does having all the cards from the same deck make more of a difference because inb some way the philosophy behind them is the same?

Considering that preferring one card's appearance versus another's says something about us, does it also say something TO us?

oino

10:10 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Oino, you do ask the most intriguing questions. :-)

I have an old (published 1980, but started in 1969) deck in my possession that is exactly what you descibed: each card is done by a different artist, in their own preferred style, referencing their own understanding of the card. It's called The Fantasy Showcase Tarot. I'll certainly be posting images from it here now that my scanner is up.

Years and years ago I also took my favorite cards from various decks to "compile" my own favorite deck. This, of course, was very awkward to work with, the varying sizes of the cards making for difficult shuffling. LOL!

And I had the same experience with the deck that I had "compiled" as I had with The Fantasy Showcase Tarot: it was overwhelming to read with. So much information, from so many different angles was coming at me from the layout. Sort of the difference between hearing one voice answer and having a chorus clamoring for attention.

There are a couple of intensely beautiful decks by a single artist that do the same thing to me. Their art is so strong and gorgeous that it "drowns out" the reading for me. This may be a personal quirk of my own, due to the way in which I focus. Though I suspect it might be an experience not uncommon among readers.

This issue of favorite cards in different decks, and not liking all cards in any single deck, is also what may drive many of us Tarotphiles to design our own decks. Beyond our desire to express our unique understandings and/or a different cultural/philosophical/spiritual background for them.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for an answer I can handle ;-)

Yes, in the end, we're looking for clarity, which means more 'signal' and less 'noise.' :-)

oino

10:50 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Glad you could handle it. :-) You put it very well: more signal, less static.

You have no idea the journey your questions set me off on. Of course, I took out my Fantasy Showcase Tarot and what a delight to go through it! A trip down memory lane, in many more ways than one. Actually, 85 ways -- it has 85 cards, each by a different artist. I read a review of the deck I found online and she did not find it difficult to read with. So what gives one person static indigestion may be someone else's cup of clari-tea. (Forgive the pun, couldn't resist.) BTW, my next post here will be about the Fantasy Showcase Tarot, with scans of 12 of the cards.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home