Saturday, July 21, 2007

THE SIX OF PENTACLES, with Comments on The Daughters of The Moon Tarot

TODAY'S CARD is The Six of Pentacles. This version is from The Daughters of The Moon Tarot, by Ffiona Morgan, Published by Daughters of the Moon, 1984, 1986 (comments on deck at bottom of this post):



Here's the Six of Pentacles in the Rider/ Waite/ Smith deck for comparison:



THE SIX OF PENTACLES: As soon as I'd done my previous post on the round Mother Peace Tarot deck, I decided The Daughters of the Moon Tarot would be next, as the "other" round feminist deck of that time period. Although, unfortunately, The Daughters of the Moon was one of those decks I sold in a spasm of poverty-induced insanity many years ago, I still have the book. In looking through the images I was particularly struck once more by The Six of Pentacles. It is very unusual for a "handicap" to appear on a Tarot card. And the scene on the above Daughters of the Moon Tarot Six of Pentacles is so energetic and so filled with "Success" of all sorts I just had to share it today.

DIFFERENT OR LESS COMMON, EVEN QUIRKY MEANINGS FOR THE SIX OF PENTACLES (i.e. the below is not intended to be an exhaustive exploration of this card; a quick google will produce a wider variety of takes should you not be familiar with this card):

All the usual sorts of difficulties attendant to working in a group.

Possible need to negotiate between practicality and emotions.

Yearning for success that seems elusive.

Can indicate condescension.

Be sure the person you are trying to help needs and/or wants it.

Be sure you are clear on why you want to be helpful. Is it to boost your self-esteem or because you really care? Your motive will color your actions.

Can indicate something being carefully doled out, as at the start of a new budget, or savings plan. I've had this come up to indicate the start of a weight loss regimen, or that one is advised or necessary.

Generosity; windfall.

Cultivate gratitude for the gifts we receive every moment of this life.


COMMENTS ON THE DAUGHTERS OF THE MOON TAROT: The Daughters of the Moon Tarot is deeply feminist, using words like "womyn" and "wimmin" instead of "woman" and "women." The two female and two male court cards have been replaced by The Great Goddess in Her aspects of Maiden, Mother and Crone. The Lovers card is of two women, though a second Lovers card that is more open to variety in pairing was added later:



The scan of the card on the right is a little unclear. The actual image on the card on the right is not clear as to the sexuality of the two lovers, either, leaving it to the viewer to determine what this/these may be.

This deck is also deeply spiritual. One of my personal favorite Deities, Kuan Yin, is on The Nine of Cups:



The Eight of Swords is very arresting and intriguing, those curved blades like question marks:



Although this was not a deck I ever worked with at great length, I always appreciated it's inclusiveness, which may sound contradictory given its near exclusion of positive male images (XV, though, is a very wonderful and positive Pan figure). But just see those wheelchairs in The Six of Pentacles above and know how unusual that is in a Tarot deck.

This deck was initially designed in black and white so that the user would color it herself. (I never did; for some reason coloring a deck has never appealed to me. I'd rather just design my own. :-D) It was published eventually in a beautifully colorful version, images from which you can see at the link by "Resource" below.

Ultimately I must admit that though it is a very lovingly and thoughtfully designed deck I never quite got deeply engaged by it. And now I wonder why, given my basically positive responses to it on this re-viewing.

* * * *

Resource: Images from the later color version of The Daughters of the Moon Tarot.

‘til next time, keep being grateful for life's many gifts and enjoying The Tarot,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm for Tarot poetry and Roswila’s Taiga Tarot for taiga (illustrated tanka).****

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home