Wednesday, December 11, 2013

FURTHER EXPLORATION OF THE TWO OF WANDS

Although I have previously posted some thoughts on TODAY'S CARD the Two of Wands, since then I have accumulated such a number of additional "meanings" I thought I'd better share them before they take over my file. But before those meanings and thoughts, here are three different takes on this card.

This first version of the Two of Wands is from The Mystic Dreamer Tarot:

This second version below is from a deck I enjoy reading from regularly because its unusual images often yield fresh insights into the cards and/or my inquiry, The Universal Fantasy Tarot:

And for COMPARISON, here's the Two of Wands in the Rider/Waite/Smith deck:

THE TWO OF WANDS: I've had a long standing affection for this card. It's one of the few I've designed so far in a deck I'm --- albeit very slowly -- developing, The Taiga Tarot. In my post sharing that design I quoted this from notes that I made on it: "You may feel hemmed in, even imprisoned by circumstances now. But the walls are really more like the shell of an incubating egg -- protective and holding while deep changes are taking place. You are in an ideal position to take a larger perspective on things as you wait for rebirth. And remember that ultimately everything you need is always right here in the palm of your hand." In that same post I also mentioned that the Two of Wands can be read to predict what is beginning, more and more, to be our reality: living in our own castles in the air, each with our little worlds in our palms. I.e., smartphones, tablets, etc. Who knows how all this technology will actually play out socially -- though it will most probably wind up all accessible through an implant in our bodies somewhere -- and what the impact will be on our planet as a whole. One could hope it will ultimately lead to a true global consciousness. A tolerance, even enjoyment of that immediate connectedness that I am afraid to admit I find irritating. But I'm deeply rooted in the pre-computer age, no matter how much I enjoy and avail myself of the benefits these advances bring. That is, I read that figure on the parapet in the RWS Two of Wands above as looking to the future, holding on to the world he knows, and wondering what the future can possibly bring.

MEANINGS/INSIGHTS/READINGS FOR The Two Of Wands, SOME LESS COMMON OR EVEN QUIRKY -- Please note: The below is not intended to be an exhaustive exploration of this card; a quick google will produce a wider variety of takes should you not be familiar with it. (Given my heavy reliance on projection of my feelings and experiences onto the cards, I recognize that I may very well reveal more about myself here than I do about any particular card. However, this is exactly my point: I use the cards as a path to self-discovery and healing. I hope what I post here that comes out of that process will be useful in some way to other seekers.):

Micro-managing; over controlling.

Withholding from a position of arrogance, or superiority, or to punish or hurt others. Or out of shame, humiliation, or a sense of failure.

Housebound by illness and/or worrying too much about things.

Two opposing inner imperatives in gear at once. (E.g., a deep desire to be expressive, yet extremely anxious about doing so.)

Overwhelmed; feeling as if the entire "ball of wax" is in your hands to deal with at one. And not feeling able to do anything at all about any of it.

This new project is in danger of collapse unless all aspects of it are supported by attention and action.

Withdrawing out of a perceived need to protect one's self. Conversely, wisely self-protective but not hidden away.

Ignoring difficult aspects of this question/issue won't make it go away. So pay attention and consider it all fully.

Are you making much more of this than it warrants? It's not world shaking, neither the outer world nor your own small inner one. A little distance between you and it all now might be helpful.

It might be wise to stay "close to home" in response to this issue, either literally or figuratively speaking. Others may not be very tolerant of differences of opinion or new ideas with respect to this right now.

Not a time to make changes or do new things. Stay for now within familiar boundaries. It's a good time for planning and organizing for new enterprises but not to start them.

Is this a good time to retreat into yourself? You may have something good to bring to the situation, and might also feel better if you socialize a bit. Conversely, this may be a good time to withdraw from this situation. You have enough to do to take care of yourself.

A necessary and/or reasonable break from being social. In order to re-assess, or heal, or do some inner work.

Recognize the limits of your skills and talents; so far and no farther, at least for now.

There are things in your life you don't and cannot "get a grip on" and trying to understand them will only hold you back from a full life. Accept that knowledge is always at best only partial.

You're getting ready to stand on your own. This time of fearful clinging to the past or a dream or a belief is coming to an end. Part of you is already free-standing.

You are backed up and given a certain vision by your faith in what matters most to you in this life.


Although not all that explicit in any of the thoughts I list above about the Two of Wands, it frequently speaks to me of a duality, and often of a choice to be made between two options. And that has put me in mind of Robert Frost's famous poem in which he ponders a choice between two roads and how he might feel about his choice in the future, The Road Not Taken.

* * * *
'til next time, keep enjoying The Tarot, in whatever ways it comes to you in your life,





[aka: Patricia Kelly]
****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under "View my complete profile")**** SEE ALSO: United Haiku and Tanka Society (UHTS) (charter member); Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm for Tarot poetry; Roswila's Taiga Tarot for taiga (illustrated tanka); Trying to Hold A Box of Light for digital photos only.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home