Friday, August 06, 2010

THE FOUR OF SWORDS: meanings & images

I’m departing from what has become the usual focus of this blog to return to my original intent for a little bit: to share less common and even quirky meanings for the cards. And also to share images from various decks, in comparison to the more traditional Rider/Waite/Smith (RWS) deck. I’m not stopping my work on The Found Tarot (cards for which I’ve been posting here). I will probably simply intersperse posts for it between those on card meanings.

TODAY’S CARD IS: “The Four of Swords” in the Haindl Tarot. First I scanned in the image for the German copy of the deck in my possession:



Then because I wasn’t happy with the quality of the scan, I sought out a better image on the internet. To my consternation I found a different Four of Swords in The Haindl Tarot, an English version it seems:



It’s to the German one I will be referring herein, but thought I’d share the other image as well.

GREAT BIG OOOOOPS!!!! On re-reading this post the next day (I always do so to check for any typos that slipped by me) I noted that what I took to be the Four of Swords in the German version is the Four of Wands (probably Four of Spears in this deck). Argh! I should never do a post when tired. In any event, I'll leave my thoughts as they are herein as my method is basically about projection onto the cards, not referring to traditional meanings. I'll just acknowledge that the Four of Wands got accidentally folded in with it all. I will also add that it could be said that there are no accidents, so that this confusion served a purpose. Of course, I'd like to believe this and not that advancing age is getting to me more than I'd realized. LOL!

I’ve also recently returned to doing a daily morning one card reading, right after writing any poem that may have surfaced in response to my night’s dream(s). Just a couple of days ago I got the Four of Swords in this morning reading. It was very relevant to the night’s dream work, of course (see last meaning below). I’d drawn it at random from the RWS deck so when I decided to post about the Four of Swords today I thought I’d choose it in a less traditional deck, The Haindl. I was fascinated by that sleepy eye, reflected in what might be seen as a mirror held in the palm of a hand - very unclear in the top scan above; it may actually be an American Indian shield. It also gave me a chuckle as this projection of mine onto the design could be seen as a reflection of the morning process I go through of writing then reading a Tarot card when I’m still somewhat sleepy. How might this fit with the Four of Swords itself? Well, the RWS 4S:



certainly can be seen as someone sleeping; the sword of mind quiescent for now even as its issues rise through dreams (the three swords on the wall).

DIFFERENT OR LESS COMMON, EVEN QUIRKY MEANINGS FOR THE FOUR OF SWORDS (i.e. the below is not intended to be an exhaustive exploration of this card; a quick Google will produce a wider variety of takes should you not be familiar with this card):

Wishing and/or waiting to be rescued.

“Lying down on the job.”

The worst is over; rest and recover.

The ability to move between right and left brain states, that can lead to profound understanding and/or healing.

Not all about life is exciting and dramatic; much is quiet, subtle, and even boring. Enjoy the down time. Watch the tendency to create unnecessary drama for the stimulation.

Stop falling on the sword of sorrow, again and again, with repetitive sad thinking. Try something that takes concentration - like making a gratitude list – and/or physical exercise. I.e. remember “Gratitude and Distraction Action.”


* * * *

‘til next time, keep honoring the times for rest and the times for activity, and enjoying The Tarot,





[aka: Patricia Kelly]
****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm for Tarot poetry; Roswila’s Taiga Tarot for taiga (illustrated tanka); and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems.****

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home