Sunday, July 09, 2017

A NEW MEANING EACH WITH IMAGES FOR: The Hierophant, all 4 Pages, The Eight of Wands, The Eight of Cups, The Seven of Swords, & The Three of Pentacles

I'm trying a new approach to posting additional meanings I've stumbled across for the cards. Usually I cover only one card in depth, but I've collected a great many more meanings for most of the deck since my last post. So thought I'd include one card each from the basic sections of the Tarot: The Majors, The Courts, and the four Minors. Each will be preceded by an image for that card from a different deck. I had great fun searching for an appropriate image to go with the one meaning I've chosen to post for each. And I chose what I consider to be somewhat unusual or maybe quirky meanings from my readings for myself.

Please note that the below is intended as only a tiny taste of the cards; a quick Google will produce a wide variety of takes should you not be familiar with them. (Given my heavy reliance on projection of my feelings and experiences onto the cards, I recognize that I may very well reveal more about myself here than I do about any particular card. However, this is exactly my point: I use the cards as a path to self-discovery and healing. I hope what I post here that comes out of that process will be useful in some way to other seekers.)

First card for today is:
THE HIEROPHANT (V)

-- The world's teaching and pressure deeply impressing/forming both the conscious and the unconscious mind.

This Hierophant image is from one of my favorite old decks in my collection, The Xultun Tarot (Mayan mythology). He always looks to me as if he's really into inculcating his audience and that he has a great deal to say.

Second card for today is:
THE FOUR PAGES

Well, not "a card," but "cards," actually. I sometimes get a feel for the overall effect or function of type of card (by its number, say, or suit, etc.) In this case, it was for the four Pages in the Court cards:

-- Pages in general can encourage taking a more youthful stance, i.e. less about one's stash of knowledge and experience, and more about just putting one's self out into the world to see what will happen. The particular suit of the page and/or the details of its illustration can help further refine what the card is representing.

The four pages above are from the Rider/Waite/Smith deck.

Third card for today is:
THE EIGHT OF WANDS

-- Spirit breaking through in a moment of mystical union with everything manifest.

The Eight of Wands above is in the Lo Scarabeo Tarot. Most frequently the wands on this card are up in the air, nowhere near the ground. I like the sense of imminence and the physical world in this one.

The fourth card for today is:

THE EIGHT OF CUPS

-- Putting a distance between one's self and some emotional event(s) in order to survive it all. To have time to heal enough not to be destroyed or destabilized by it. In a more difficult sense, using drugs or alcohol, etc. to create that distance. Though even there what looks to the outside world as destructive, can very well be life saving on the person's inner plane.

The Eight of Cups above is in the Anna K. Tarot. Usually the figure is walking away from a bunch of cups, and almost as often, away from the viewer. Here, it's from a relationship (anyone remember that old song "Silhouette on the Shade"?). And the movement toward the viewer makes it more personal, more immediate. Of course, those two figures could simply be sadly watching the foreground character leaving. And I'm sure there are other readings that could be made. But that makes my point about how evocative this particular Eight of Cups version is.

The fifth card for today is:
THE SEVEN OF SWORDS

-- Feeling that things have been stolen from you; taken away by life or some actual person(s). But it's how life goes: we lose stuff, we lose out, we lose people. Shit happens!

The Seven of Swords above is in the Rider/Waite/Smith deck. I looked at a lot of Seven of Swords cards, but none of them (IMHO) beats this one for getting across that feeling of thievery.

The sixth and last card for today is:
THE THREE OF PENTACLES

-- You are being put on alert. Someone around you may be quite a piece of work. Watch out. The nastiness may be extremely well hidden by an earnest, sugar wouldn't melt in his/her mouth aspect. [I laughed in a somewhat embarrassed way when I found this meaning, as this is my primary card in The Tarot, right up there with The Hierophant. Blush! Having stumbled across this meaning with respect to a situation I've been in, will (hopefully) serve to keep me honest, too.]

The Three of Pentacles above is in The Circle of Life Tarot. I'm not overly fond of round cards, but this one is too perfect. Those little figures are either sneaking in or sneaking out of that window, and I always feel they can't be trusted to be up to any good! :-)

And on that self-conscious note, I'll end this post. Now that I've actually put it all together I don't think its approach can make any difference in the long haul, in how fast I get new meanings posted here. But it was entertaining to produce and there's a lot to be said for that in my life these days. LOL ... my moods are like those little figures in The Three of Pentacles above, not to be trusted one inch in all their comings and goings!

* * * *

N.B. A small thing, but just in case: some of the extra reference links offered at the very end of my oldest (years old) posts no longer work. As there are so many posts here to go through I am choosing not to search for and change all of those links that are "dead." (Though I do immediately delete any I stumble across that now lead to questionable sites.) If you are interested, you can try Googling for the name of the site or article referenced. I've found that some are still around in new locations or incarnations, some not.

'til next time, keep enjoying The Tarot, in whatever ways it comes to you in your life,





[aka: Patricia Kelly]
****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under "View my complete profile")**** SEE ALSO: (charter member); Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm for Tarot poetry; Roswila's Taiga Tarot for taiga (illustrated tanka); Trying to Hold A Box of Light for digital photos only; and THE MARKER TAROT.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home