Friday, October 05, 2007

GLOOMINOUS DOOM of The Faeries' Oracle

I thought I'd pull a card from The Faeries' Oracle as I'm attending the online PsiberDreaming & The Arts Conference of the International Association for the Study of Dreams and faeries tend to abound. Especially in the mysterious (miraculous? fey?) healing of one attendee's faery web site that had been horribly hacked. So I shuffled and asked: What faery or faeries want to have a say on my blog today? And, LOL!, out came #56, Gloominous Doom:


*"Gloominous Doom," in THE FAIRIES' ORACLE: Working With The Fairies To Find Wisdom, and Joy; by Brian Froud, text by Jessica Macbeth; Fireside, Rockefeller Center, 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020; 2000.


I laughed so hard! This almost charming self-pity champion had been my companion rather constantly for several days until just recently. Of course, I do begin to wonder if he's saying "You're not through with me quite yet this time around." Well, if so, at least I'm a bit more prepared. I'll welcome a self-pity party, be ready for all of the odd little "gifts" he brings, and then get on with the rest of my life again in a more positive way. I realize I may be able to assert this now as he's not actually in my vicinity, however. :-D

Gloominous Doom's askew thinking can blind us into believing that the worse our lives are, the more we pity ourselves. As the accompanying book for this deck points out, though, the reverse is actually true: "The sorrier we feel for ourselves, the worse our life becomes." However, we also need to know just how we are actually feeling in order to let those thoughts and feelings go. So that's why a good pity party in which we indulge in all the negativity can be very helpful. Then, we need to choose to let it all go and get on with our lives from a life-affirming perspective. "Gloominous Doom" gives us the prickly gift of knowing the dimensions of our self-pity so we can choose to feel differently. I think he should be thanked for doing his very unpopular but rather important job. :-D


* * * *


Resource: For more about this delightful and also profound deck, visit the World of Froud.

‘til next time, keep recognizing self-pity for what it is and offers, and enjoying The Tarot,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm for Tarot poetry and Roswila’s Taiga Tarot for taiga (illustrated tanka).****

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Ginny Clayton said...

I have loved Froud's work since the 70's when my mother gifted me with his first Faeries book. I adore the cards as well and find they often poke fun at our seriousness and help us have a good laugh at ourselves, and yet they do have a serious side as well, it's just delivered in a very playful way. Awesome deck.

Ginny

6:40 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Me, too, I've loved Froud's work for ages. I have his Good Faeries/Bad Faeries (is that the title?) book, too. It think the Faerie's Oracle can make a wonderful gift. That's how I wound up with it during a cash strapped time -- it was a Christmas gift from my (now ex- and married) roommate.

BTW, Gloominous *did* visit me again briefly, as I had a bit of a communication brouhaha with someone and began to blame myself and feel terribly baited at the same time. But he didn't stay long; didn't have to. Too much to be doing to give over to pity parties. LOL!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Scruffyhippo said...

I must admiot when I first saw these cards last year I liked them, even tho I still don't have a set :)the detail and little creatures hiding in each card tells so much.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Yes, aren't they delight-filled, scruffyhippo? I try to visit with them every so often.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home